- Assist the public in meeting our animals. Escort animal to visitation area for patron animal socialization.
ANIMAL CARE SPECIALIST
- Involves actual hands-on care of animals in the kennels.
- Assist development staff in processing and sending out mailings, writing thank you notes and making thank you calls to donors.
- Help update the donor software.
DOG WALKER/CAT SOCIALIZER
- Provide exercise for the dogs by taking them for a walk.
- Teach dogs basic manners and commands to increase the chances of finding a lifelong home
- Foster pets in your home until they are ready for adoption. Animals need fostering for many reasons including:
- Kittens and puppies that are too small and too young to be neutered and placed for adoption. Sometimes we have the “mama” who will also need to be fostered along with her kittens.
- Cats or dogs that are recovering from an illness or medical procedure
- Unsocialized animals
- Underweight animals
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE – PET POST PET STORE
- Welcome patrons to the Cheyenne Animal Shelter.
- Direct patrons to the kennels and/or appropriate staff.
- Bathe and brush animals available for adoption as needed. This enhances the animal’s chance of being adopted.
- If you are a professional groomer, volunteer your time at the shelter.
- Take photos of our adoptable animals with a digital camera for use in marketing their availability. (Must have your own camera)
- Make videos of adoptable animals for use in marketing their availability.
- Work with our database to assign photos to the correct animals.
SHELTER ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST
- Assists the staff with filing, word processing, mailings and contacting customers.
- Aid in other areas of operation as needed.
- Help reduce Kennel Stress by spending 5 minutes of quality time with dogs in their kennels in the morning or in the afternoon.
PLAY GROUP MONITOR
- Monitors groups of dogs in outdoor play group area for exercise and socialization.
TRAP, NEUTER, RETURN
“TNR,” is proven to be humane and effective at controlling feral cat population growth , reducing mating behaviors and diseases.
- Assist in trapping and releasing cats in the community.
- Assist in clinical procedures, such as spay/neuter surgeries.
Other Volunteer Programs:
COURT-ORDERED COMMUNITY SERVICE
Court-ordered community service workers assist our Animal Care Department with maintenance tasks, janitorial tasks, kennel cleaning and other miscellaneous work. Positions and tasks are separate from other volunteer positions listed on our website. Workers do not have any direct contact with the animals.
Shifts run from daily from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. within the exception of holiday closures.
If you would like to fulfill your court-ordered community service work at the Cheyenne Animal Shelter, please print and fill out our Application for Community Service placement and return it to the shelter. Space is limited to three community service workers per day.
SCHOOL/COLLEGE SPONSORED COMMUNITY SERVICE
If you are at least 14 years old and need to complete community service for school or college, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 307-213-3058. Space is limited to three Community Service workers per day.