How to Adopt
How do I adopt an animal?
- Fill out an application online or in person.
- Come to the Cheyenne Animal Shelter during adoption hours (M-Sat noon to 6 pm) to walk through and meet adoptable pets!
- Sit with an adoption counselor to learn about your potential pet and make sure it’s a match. For any dog adoptions, bring any of your family dogs for a meet-and-greet.
- You fall in love and adopt your new pet!
All animals must leave on a leash, or in a carrier.
- Walk-throughs to view adoptable animals are available Monday – Saturday, from 8 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
Adoption Application Review
What are we reviewing?
Our management staff will review your application to ensure the animal(s) you are interested in is a good fit for you and your family and that local animal laws are being followed. Some animals take extra special care, and it’s our responsibility to ensure we place them in a home where their needs will be met.
What if I need to surrender my pet?
- Owner surrenders are by appointment only so please call 307-632-6655 from Noon – 6 pm.
- Why do I have to make an appointment?
Effective April 15, 2019, CAS adapted a Managed Admission policy (see release here). This allows our staff to be able to obtain a more detailed history so that we can provide a more appropriate placement in the future.
It also ensures that we have the staff available to take and care for that animal at that time. On some occasions, kind patrons will bring in a litter of kittens at a time to surrender. The care of a litter of kittens requires (insert data about how many hours our staff spends with new kittens)
- You can also utilize our pet rehoming program here.
- All you need to do is create your pet’s profile in less than 10 minutes. Once complete, your pet’s profile will be posted on Adopt-A-Pet.com and be seen by millions of visitors each month. Your pet can remain in your home, and in your loving care during this time.
Animal Adoption faq
Adoption Package Includes (worth roughly $370):
Microchip and national registration: $50
One month of pet health insurance for $1
At least one set of vaccinations: $40
A certificate for a free veterinary exam
How many pets do you adopt out each year?
Do you adopt out purebred cats and dogs?
Why do I have to pay an adoption fee?
Why do you have different adoption fees for the animals?
Can my pet meet a potential adoption first?
How long do pets remain up for adoption?
Can I adopt a pet as a gift for someone?
We do not adopt out pets as surprise gifts to family and friends. At the Cheyenne Animal Shelter, we believe it is very important for individuals to choose their own pet so they can find the perfect match for their family, lifestyle and expectations. However, we do offer Cheyenne Animal Shelter gift certificates. To order, contact (307) 632-6655 or [email protected].